Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Gratitude #7


Let's talk card games. Really! I mean, who's the genius who invented the deck of fifty-two cards?

Answerbag says the following: "Historians believe playing cards were invented in China where paper was invented as well. Some version of the standard English 52-card deck was later introduced into Europe via the Islamic empire. It was after this that the human figures of the court--kings, queens and their attendants--appeared on the cards."


Well, let me just say I huge thank-you to the Chinese man who woke up one morning, looked at some extra-thick paper he'd just created and said, "Yo! Cards!"


And then I bow down to the Muslim who said, "Cards! Yes - 52 of them!"


Last and very very far from least, I am eternally grateful for the brilliant person who got bored with playing that simple game called Whist and made it way way way more complicated and named it Bridge.


Yes - Bridge. In my humble (some would say arrogant) opinion, it's the greatest game on this planet. Yes - better than chess. 


I play bridge online almost every day for about 30 minutes. And there are times I play it live, like today. In about an hour I'll be off to the annual bridge tournament in aid of The Haven Society. It's always a good idea to help a worthy cause - so much nicer when you're having fun while you're doing it.


And by the way, this is not kitchen bridge, which is fine and fun and all that. But it's nothing compared to duplicate bridge. Now that's a game I adore - online, live - no matter. Just bring it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment