Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Gratitude #29


Once a month, every month - from now until I die, I get a cheque from the government. I find this kind of mind boggling.

Oh, I know I paid into the Canada Pension Plan ever year of my very long working life, but still, when the end of the month comes, it feels like Christmas. Not only do I get my CPP but also the Old Age Security, which I have earned merely by virtue of being 65.

So I just want to say a huge thank-you to Canada. Hurrah!

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you could actually live on the combined total. Well, I suppose you could if you gave up your car, lived in a small room and took at least one meal a day at the soup kitchen, but it really does help a lot. In my life it makes a big difference. It allows me to turn down work I don't want to do. It gives me far more freedom and that includes more vacation time. So it's wonderful.

However, dear government of Canada, be warned. I am grateful - yes I am - but I still plan on banging my pots and pans and standing in solidarity with Quebec students and everyone else who wants to free this wonderful country from the totalitarian grip of the Harper Tories. Because, you see, I am also grateful for the freedoms this country promises and I have every intention of defending them.

No comments:

Post a Comment