Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gratitude #18


Here's to local farmers! And to their small farms!

Today I paid a visit to Cedar Poultry Farm. They raise chickens - about 150 at a time. If you want to know about free range, just drop by - you'll see them running around in the fields with nary a fence post in sight.

They also grow garlic and cauliflower and various other vegetables. My appreciation for this particular farm is for Abby's food. I get my eggs from them for Abby's breakfast and today I picked up an entire freezer full of chicken necks and backs (at no charge). I have enough food to last her a couple of months. And then, as Betty says, there's always lots more.

In the next couple of days Patty and I are really get our hands in the ground to complete our own very small farm (or extremely large kitchen garden, depending on how you look at it). Paul brought the tractor in the morning and the ground has been roto-tilled twice. Gorgeous rick dark earth with lots of old horse manure and compost added.

I can hardly wait to plant my kale, chard, carrots, herbs, beans, etc.

And what we don't grow, we get from the local farmers - tomatoes, peppers, etc.

I am blessed to live in a part of the world where small local farmsteads are appreciated and encouraged and where people support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment