Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gratitude #19


There are people who have a genuine desire to help others. Some of them take that desire, get rigorous training and then use that training to help heal.

I was fortunate to spend an hour with someone like that yesterday. My shoulder was still rather bad and my lower back was acting up. That kind of pain tends to drag down the spirits. I don't ever really let it get me to the point of being grumpy but it's just not geared toward upping my mood.

I went to the VI pain clinic where they practice rolfing and other integrative therapies. The body work I experienced was of the "hurts so good" kind.

I'm honestly not sure if it made all that much of a difference. I think I'd need more than one session. However, what was very informative was the series of photos he took of my stance and posture before and after treatment. It didn't take a genius to see where my body was badly out of alignment. He made one comment that really hit home - it starts with how you stand. If you're standing wrong then your legs aren't aligned straight and your hips go out and on and on.

I thought about that on the drive home and thought about it some more today and realized that in puberty I made a conscious decision to walk with my toes pointed out so that my weight rested on the outsides of my feet. (which would explain why that's where I get callouses).

And that appears to be the problem. Today I made a conscious decision to turn my toes in slightly, which in my case means lining my feet up straight, and distributing the weight evenly. I have a suspicion this is going to make a difference. I certainly feel more balanced and grounded.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment