Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

Gratitude #23


Another reason to be grateful for the rain is the opportunity it lends to get soaked almost to the skin. I don't care how much Goretex you own, if you're out hiking in a downpour for three hours, the rain is going to find a way to get in.

I had a fleeting thought this morning that went something like this: "Meh! I'ts raining. I could stay home. I could stay home and just, you know, um - sit."

Right. By 8.30 I was on the trail at the Westwood Ridges with a strangely subdued dog trotting placidly at my heels. We did the full-on circuit. The true pleasure of the hike came about half an hour before getting back to the car park. It was at that point that rain had somehow gotten under my cap (how did it do that??!!) and plastered my hair to my scalp. I had stepped in so many puddles that my toes were making a squishing sound inside my shoes. My hands were dripping on my trekking poles and by the cold, damp feeling that permeated all over, I was pretty sure that my 100 percent waterproof jacket and pants were proving to be slightly less so.

Sitting down in the car was both a pleasure (yay! We're done!) and a pain. (Cold wet stuff sticking to me here!)

But here's the really, really good part. Got home - hosed the trail mud off Abby, wrapped her in a warm towel and then went to work on myself. Peeled of every single layer - yes, even the underwear. And then got into warm, dry clothing. Ah - the bliss!!!

Lunch - fabulous! - A nap under the eiderdown quilt - glorious!

Step two of the pleasure of hiking in the rain comes soon - as soon as I come in from taking Abby for a quick afternoon outing - a hot bubble bath!!!!

In other words, hiking in the rain is a bit like hitting your head against a brick wall. It feels so good when it stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment