Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gratitude #12


I love love love my new iPad.

I adore it!

I bow to it - worship it and, in other words, I like it a lot.

I set out yesterday to buy an e-reader. I had done my research and was pretty sure that I was going to purchase a Kobo. It seemed to answer all my needs - nice, easy reading surface, portability and access to the books I wanted at a good price.

First stop: Staples where I could compare the Kobo and Kindle side by side. In a hands-on test the Kindle came out on top but the truth is I didn't like either all that much. Their buttons were clunky, the speed was slow. Maybe the iPhone had spoiled me but I was used to more elegant devices.

Second stop: Chapters where I thought I could get even more of an insider's view of the device. Besides, I still was set on the Kobo because it wasn't that much slower or more awkward than the Kindle and its books were cheaper.

As an aside - the people who helped me at both stores were terrific! Great service and very good product knowledge.

Well, I was still convinced it was going to be the Kobo but, because it was twenty dollars cheaper at Staples, I drove back to that store. The same sales clerk was there. "I'll take the Kobo," I said. Great he said - could he just finish helping the other customer and he'd be right with me? While I waited I moved over to the display of tablets and, just for fun, played with the iPad. Needless to say, I was a goner almost instantly. The iBooks app was so intuitive and so responsive. At last - I was reading a book on an electronic device and the feel was just like a real book - something the other devices promised but, to my mind, didn't deliver on. And then there was the added bonus of the iPad's ability to do everything else. I can watch movies on it; I can listen to music, I can surf the net, play games, send email and, best of all, I can buy books from any book store anywhere - no limitations!

The extra cost? I think it's worth it.

Score another one for Apple.

Ease of setup when I got home? Nothing to it.

I love this tablet.

And I love knowing that I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment