Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

thinking and walking



I love hiking - sometimes by myself. One of the chief reasons I love it so much is for the sheer physical beauty of the places I go.

But another thing is that it allows me to think - my brain tends to roam freely and often very productively. It isn't unusual for some of my best work to occur after a nice, long walk.

BUT - (yes, it's a big but) some of these "walking meditation" thoughts evaporate as quickly as they come. So I get back home thinking I'd love to blog about some of these profound thoughts I've had - only to look around and ask, "What thoughts?"

Oh well. I've often thought that some of our best internal discoveries vanish just because they're so good. We integrate them immediately and have no more need to be conscious of them.

At least - that's my excuse.

Wonderful day today - the second day in a row of not doing a stitch of work (I don't count my own writing or gardening as work). And I feel no guilt - nothing but peace, serenity, happiness. Here's an expression I've heard at lest seven times too often but I'm going to use it anyway - just because it applies so perfectly: I love my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment