Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Hiking and chocolate

What do hiking and chocolate have in common?

Trick question. The answer, of course, is me! moi! ich!

I love both and combine them with considerable flair, especially today.

Abby and I set off on our favourite mid-island hike today - the yellow/blue route on Maple Mountain. Naturally I packed dark chocolate, which is my reward at the end of every hike. Since I have discovered organic, free trade Green & Black's chocolate, I am especially pleased.

Maple Mountain is spectacular at all times of the year: in the winter and spring with its green landscape, bare, gnarled garry oak branches and rushing waterfalls - and at this time of year with its tall, yellow spikes of grass and lush leafy branches - and at all times the endless views over the bays.

When we got back to the car, I unwrapped my chocolate but also remembered there was a bit of chocolate left in the console from last week's hike. And lo - it had completely melted. My first thought was to toss it. And then I smelled the enticing aroma of sun-warmed chocolate and I licked the wrapper. Wow! The best ever!

A double hit of chocolate today - melted and barred. I must have done something very good to deserve this.

Abby had her hiking reward too: a dead and rotten deer bone and something very stinky to roll in. Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment