Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday in Sandpoint Idaho


My life is filled with rainbows - some of them quite literal.

About 20 years ago as my ex and I left the west to go back to Ontario (a failed 9 month experiment) the last thing I saw as we left the mountains was a rainbow - and that rainbow seemed to follow me for miles - sitting on my right shoulder.

Yesterday morning, as I neared glorious Glacier - the sky filled with rainbows. Yes the weather at Logan Pass was so harsh I couldn't even get out of my car - but I had rainbows. And the mere fact of being in the mountains was perfect enough.

Driving into the Rockies fed my soul.

After the Going to the Sun Road I continued to Sandpoint - which turned out to be a farther drive than I suspected. BUT (hurrah) I am here. Well, not quite here - I am above the town on Schweitzer Mountain in a condo with hiking trails minutes from the door. So Abby and I will set out on a high alpine hike this morning.

Yesterday, after we settled in and I'd fed her, we hiked for about an hour or so - off leash of course. Abby went beserk - racing around in circles, splashing through creeks, - She was running and jumping like an unruly puppy. And I don't think it was just the fact of getting out of the car that had her so excited. I think she also likes the high mountain air. It's cool here - only about 12 degrees right now.

This is much needed day of rest.

I have some mixed feelings about this place. It's not quite what I expected. I think I should not have taken the tourist info person's advice about staying on the mountain. Better perhaps to stay in town and just drive up for the hiking. But - another big but - I am going on the assumption that this was the perfect thing to do. It had to be because I did it. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment