Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Brandon Manitoba


It's a big country. The prairie stretches on and on and on. I woke up to cloudy prairie skies and after 10 hours of driving, I am bedding down for the night under clear, huge prairie skies.

I imagined a time when buffalo roamed - herds stretching as far as the horizon. I wondered at how much land was uncultivated. I wondered too how few wind turbines I saw when the prairie seems to have an endless supply of wind. I missed the grain elevators that were so ubiquitous the first time I came this way more than 20 years ago. I marveled that in this vast land not an inch of it appeared to be unfenced. My mind boggled when I thought of Wanetta riding her bicycle across this land in the teeth of the fierce wind. I think I would rather ride up the side of Mount Robson r than brave a Saskatchewan head wind.

Ten hours of driving today. I'm pleased that at the end of the day, we have a nice motel in Brandon and that I found a big, empty field where Abby was able to walk, run and chase grasshoppers for an hour. What a blessing to walk rather than drive - and to relax into it - to breathe - to know I could take as long as I wanted. No more destinations for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment