Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ferndale Washington


Here I am - mere ( what seems like) inches from the border. I actually very briefly considered driving the rest of the way home tonight. I'm glad I thought better of it.

So - yesterday - a good morning hike to the top of the mountain. I considered going farther but it was pretty cold and windy up there. Instead, I had a nap after lunch and then Abby and I drove into town. After all the hoopla I was eager to see the most beautiful small town in America.

I was charmed by the farmers market in the park complete with entertainment. The lake is gorgeous and has a lovely white sand beach (no dogs allowed).

Downtown was pretty - but it doesn't hold a candle to Nelson.

So - back up the mountain - another one hour hike and then an early night. Up at 5 and on the road shortly after 6. Amazing country we drove through. Who knew that the centre of Washington State was full of mesas and towering hills?

Even better - who knew that Leavenworth was 10 times as pretty as I could possibly have imagined! - I wish I had stayed to explore. And the highway (28) from Leavenworth on is one of the prettiest drives I have ever taken. This is worth coming back for. And yes, Leavenworth is pretend Bavaria and yet, they've managed such a good job of it! Flowers everywhere! Must return one day.

I pushed on for Mount Baker only to discover (as I suspected) that the huge snowfall of last winter means all the alpine hiking trails are still completely snowed in and won't open this year at all.

No matter - in a way I was glad.  I was ready to leave the road and head home. I'm glad to be in a motel 8 with Internet access and a quick hop to the border tomorrow. I should be on an early enough ferry to avoid the big long weekend lineups.

I'm happy to have a long weekend of laundry and napping and gardening and relaxing before work begins again.

And it looks like I'm bringing the good weather with me.

Everything about this trip has been perfect - even the parts I thought weren't perfect - turns out they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment