Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Monday in Montana



The town of Shelby Montana is tiny. I would have liked to have pushed on to Browning but after almost 900 k today, that was it.

Today's observations: Until you get to the mountains, (I can see them now in the far distance) Montana is flat - reminds me of Alberta - a bit. It's interesting that while I spotted only 4 or 5 grain elevators on the prairies, I lost count of them here. No longer a Canadian symbol. Big skies today with thunderheads and rain clouds and sun and heat.

Driving - so much driving.

I contrast this with last year's trip - down the coast. That scenery fed my soul. This landscape, while interesting, leaves my longing for something else. I expect I will find my something else tomorrow.

It's been tough driving - I have a muscle behind my left shoulder blade that is so knotted I have no idea how to undo it. It started aching on the way to Toronto and came on with a vengeance on the way back. Today it almost had me in tears. The pain is relentless and constant. All I can do to ease it is move my arm around in any contortion I can think of.

What wouldn't I give for a massage?

The good news is that the back of the driving beast is broken. Tomorrow - a short drive to Glacier and then the Going to the Sun Road - then 2 nights in Idaho. After that 2 nights at Mount Baker and then an easy drive home.

Abby continues to be an exemplary traveler.

I think I may take her to Main Street to explore the town. That should take all of 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment