Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday in Ontario


The Internet here is so slow - as bad as a very old dial-up connection. I know that comment doesn't sound very interesting but, trust me, this morning it is top of mind.

Wednesday - 2 more sleeps and I'll be on the road again with Abby. I love this idea of movement. I always have. I think that's why I used to travel with a Eurailpass - even when I arrived at a place where I thought I might want to stay for a couple of days, I would almost invariably move on quickly. I didn't find a place to settle until I arrived at Murren in Switzerland. That appears to be the home of my soul. I'll see if that's still true next year.

Meanwhile, I'm excited about moving toward places I have never been.

I'm about done with family. They're good in short doses. I used to envy people who had close family ties and adored being around their parents and siblings and various assorted cousins. I no longer envy them. Why would I when I relish my alone time so much?

There have been no profound lessons to learn here. Nothing I don't already know and I'm fine with that. The fact is that in almost any size doses, my mother drives me crazy. I am finally, at long last, okay with that. I do have bouts of tender compassion for her - and that's good too. I sorrow for the pretty young woman she once was.

I am filled with ambivalence about my family. My nephew Paul is delightful.

Harry Potter this afternoon.

Shopping and vacuuming up dog hair tomorrow. I want to make sure mom is totally stocked up for at least 2 weeks after I leave. I want to ease some of my sis-in-law's burden.

I'll be glad to be heading west again soon. Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment