Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Travel Dreams


I've officially started planning my next European Vacation (hmmm - sounds like a great title for a movie.).

In fact, I've always found planning is a good part of the fun of the trip. I can get months of enjoyment in the anticipation. I'm just about done planning this year's month on the road. And by planning, I'm not talking about putting pen to paper etc. I'm talking about imagining in my mind - I like to leave plans loose - all the better to have them change and to leave room for surprises.

This year's plan involves the Blackball Ferry to the Olympic Peninsula and then a long meandering drive down the Oregon Coast to Big Sur where Abby and I will stay in a cabin in the Redwoods for a week. Then on down the coast to Pismo Beach and across to the Grand Canyon - maybe Sedona - then up through Canyonlands in Utah and then continuing up on a meandering path to see what we shall see - and looking for good hiking spots all along the way.

Next year is a month in Europe. I let this idea percolate for a while because I didn't really want to tread over too much old ground. So I'm thinking Berlin - then down to Prague, hiking in Slovenia - down to Greece - Santorini probably - up to Switzerland for a week of hiking in the Bernese Oberland. Then over to Provence - and finally up to Paris for a flight home.

Sounds yummy.

Now this is one perk of retirement you have to love - the time to really travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment