Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday


I'm taking deep breaths this morning. Not because it's Monday - although it is Monday and it's a quiet, slow day for me and I like that. No - what's disturbing me is that I read the news online. I know it's American news but because we have the Harper dictatorship currently in power, I think what is happening there can't be far from occurring here too.

I'm talking about the newest erosion of 1st Amendment rights. It is now illegal to protest if there is a government official within 100 yards (I am no sure of the exact distance). And you can be arrested - even if you are unaware of the presence of said official.

This is draconian at best. Facist definitely. Certainly this has nothing to do with democracy.

When are we all going to get angry enough to say that we're not going to take it any more?

Okay - deep breath. I need to focus on my life - my beautiful life. Although I am also concerned that that's what people did in Mussolini's Italy and Hitler's Germany - they let these "little" things creep up on them. They thought there was nothing they could do and focused instead on their lives....

It's hard to know what to do. I sign the online petitions - I pass them on. I know that makes a difference. I have attended rallies and I will again. I will speak up in whatever forum I can.

We certainly do live in interesting times.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this. Incredible. And what constitutes a "government official"? Is a school teacher a government official? A postal worker? A police officer?
    Bad enough they've given the president permission to kill anybody, including American citizens, with no due process at all.
    BTW When you post something like this, I'd really appreciate a link to the story. Thanks a lot. :-)

    And yes, it's me. I bought a worm hole through the great firewall. Works just dandy, for the moment. I can finally read your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, David - from now on I will link to the story. I posted this after reading it on 3 different sites: Washington Post, CNN and Yahoo news.

    ReplyDelete