Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

technology


I'm such a technology hound - have been ever since I got my first computer at least 20 years ago - back in the days before windows. Let me tell you, you had to know what you were doing back then (or had to be able to fake it really well). I belong to the bracketed class of individuals.

Now I'm getting excited about this: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-vs-windows-7-vs-os-x-lion-1026401

Windows 8. I've been toying with the idea of switching to a Mac system for a couple of years now and I keep holding off. Maybe that hesitation is finally going to pay off. What has stopped me from going Apple all the way is price - not so much the hardware but all the software I would have to replace. And then the big issue is accounting software. Apple isn't known for it and I can't migrate Quickbooks to Apple.

So - enter Windows 8 - with touchscreen technology and lots and lots of goodies including cloud computing, an app store etc. etc.  This might even mean that instead of buying an iPad this summer, I might get a tablet that runs windows - if the OS comes out soon enough. Yes, I am succumbing. I am going to get a tablet so that I can download books and stop buying big, heavy tomes. It's time. And besides, I am running out of flat surfaces to stack my books on.

Technology: bring it on!

I am also swooning over other types of technology lately. I bought the latest, greatest Osprey dayback and now a lumbar pack - wow - talk about toting your stuff around effortlessly. Now I am eyeing the latest carbon fibre trekking poles - titanium just won't do any more.

2 comments:

  1. My big complaint with Apple is that they don't want to give any control to the user. The iPad is designed to make it hard to know where the files are, to move them around, to put them where you want them. Putting a file on the iPad means going through iTunes, the most unintuitive software every developed. Even the name is wrong. And then you have to "syn" the iPad with the computer, which works over the whole iPad, not just the file you want to move, removing aps at will. I'm moving to Android as soon as they get a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - my experience is that I love iTunes - and my iPhone is so intuitive and simple - really like it. And the cloud synchs everything all by itself. That said, I am really looking forward to Windows 8.

    ReplyDelete