Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Gratitude #5


I am grateful for small, unexpected, happy surprises.

Today I took Abby to Yellow Point Park. What started as a dull, overcast day turned into pretty sunshine as soon as we began our hike. No - that's not the surprise.

On we walked amid spring flowers and birdsong until we bumped into another dog walker - a charming man with a lovely old Golden Retriever and a young and skittish Black Lab/Visla cross - no - that's not the surprise.

We toured the whole park in an hour and a half and then drove into the village to mail the huge and heavy box full of books to my mother. I mail a care box of books to her every couple of months. I expected to pay a lot of postage this time around and actually ended up paying half of what I thought postage would be. No - that's not the surprise.

I came out of the post office - a function that is carried on in the back of Friesen's, the big Cedar hardware store, to find the leftovers of a weekend garage sale in the parking lot. There were some pretty good bargains to be had but none could beat the array of stuffies at only 25 cents each. Yes - that's the happy surprise. I picked out a whale, a boxer pup, a bunny and what I think resembles a drunk kangaroo.  Loaded with toys I returned to the car and tossed them all to Abby in the back seat.

If you think I'm grateful for happy surprises, you should have seen the look on her face as she tried to jam all four into her mouth at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment