Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

More on Work


After my post yesterday - and after David's kind comment - I had some further thoughts about work. Mainly, I thought about what work used to be - a very, very long time ago. Everyone did it - children as young as two years old had work to do. We lived in small family groups or tribes and if you didn't work, you died. It was as simple as that. You sewed your clothing - after hunting and killing the animal that supplied the raw material. You cooked, you sowed seeds and harvested and made medicines - you did what it took to remain healthy and alive. You chopped wood and carried water. Everyone worked. It was what life was about.

But does that mean people didn't enjoy what they did? I suspect they liked it very much. There must have been enormous satisfaction in becoming a valiant and respected hunter or a particularly skilled and creative hand crafter. There must have been joy in providing well for your family. I doubt that people complained about their work - even when it was hard. And why not? Because it's what you did. It was life. And so people's attitudes were different.

In the end, what makes it work and what makes it play is all about attitude. Take housework - dusting to be precise. For me, it's work. I hate it. I'm also going to bet that there are people in the world who enjoy dusting. Dusting is not inherently good or bad. It's all about attitude.

Gardening is hard work. But I don't consider it work. However, I'll bet a lot of farmers do. Hiking up a mountain is very hard work. I don't consider it work. All I have to do to turn anything into a thing of joy is to change my attitude.

And that, folks, is often easier said than done.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't got myself to the point where I like dusting, most of which I do with the vacuum because otherwise I'm just moving the dust around. It's hard to enjoy something with that noise in the background. But it was a surprise to me to discover that I actually like washing dishes. I didn't as a child, of course. I hated it. But that's because I was made to do it, and didn't do it by choice, and because I didn't see the activity for what it is - turning chaos and ugliness into sparkling order.
    Now I like washing dishes. I take great satisfaction in seeing the clean and shiny washed dishes, when formerly I had a mess. I can zone out washing dishes, and get into the moment, and try to wash with perfect zen efficiency. It's fun for me now. If only I'd known this when I was a child, my childhood would have been much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - it all starts with childhood. I like washing dishes - was never made to do it - but I was made to dust - every Saturday morning - lol

    ReplyDelete