Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gratitude #4


I am grateful for my body. No, it's not tall and thin like a model's - and I don't have nice, big boobs or six-pack abs or anything even remotely resembling a weight lifter or someone who works out six days a week.

Most of my life I wanted a different body than the one I have. I wanted to look like Barbie - or at least like Angelina Jolie. No such luck. My legs - I got my father's legs - crooked. I got my mother's nose - large. But what I got from somewhere (a combination of genetics, diet and exercise I think) is a body that is tough, strong, fit and incredibly healthy. For that I am grateful beyond belief. At age 65 I am doing things that I did in my thirties with as much ease as I did then.

I don't wake up with aches and pains. I feel no physical limitations. I have boundless energy - unless I have to do the dusting, at which time I become unaccountably tired - exhausted even. But if you suggest a good hike up the nearest mountain, I'm definitely up for it.

I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago - she's eleven years younger and she was bemoaning the fact that age was catching up with her, which meant aches and pains. This concept is entirely foreign to me.

My intention is to keep my body this healthy and fit for a very long time. In the next ten years I plan on some big adventures including several long distance hikes and I plan to be up for it. My mother once said that if you don't have your health, nothing else matters. Having suffered from a cold once or twice in my life (and pneumonia once) I'd say she is absolutely right.

I'm doing the best I can: no alcohol, cigarettes or drugs - legal or otherwise. Organic, vegan diet - about two hours of walking every day - much more on weekends, eight hours sleep a night. Oh yes, and good genetics. You gotta love and be grateful for good genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment