Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

Gratitude #2


I am grateful for friends. This realization shone bright yesterday when I ran into an old friend I have not seen for some years. The joy I felt almost made my heart ache. And now I am eagerly anticipating lunch or dinner and a long chin wag and a big catch-up.

I can't imagine life without dear friends. And I love that I have friends in their twenties and friends in their seventies. I have male friends and female friends - entrepreneurs, accountants, artists, stay-at-home moms, musicians and intellectuals. I am blessed.

I have friends I can argue politics with; friends I can gossip with; friends I can laugh with, cry with, hike with and be silent with. I have friends who will tell me the truth even when it hurts.

Friends are people I can be myself with - completely me, holding nothing back. They are people who accept me exactly for who I am. But they also expect me to be me and will tell me when I'm falling short. They'll give me a shoulder to cry on (and have on numerous occasions) and they will also kick my butt when it's time for me to stand on my own two feet.

My friends are my true family. I have friends I've had for almost two decades and new friends - every one means something special to me. Each holds a special place. You can never have too many friends - and I do have quite a few. But if all you have is one true friend, that's enough.

I have one friend I have not seen or talked to in 20 or more years. I suspect that one day we will be in touch again and we'll pick up right where we left off. Why did we lose touch? I don't know. Sometimes people do. Paths diverge both physically and emotionally. But I still hold her in my heart as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment