Search This Blog

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Spring


Yes - this *is* a spring photo - because, you see, it was taken this morning on a glorious spring hike over the Westwood Ridges. Notice the youngest of the bunch. He can't walk yet but he sure can hike (with a little help from mom).

I officially declare today the first day of spring. It's warm! I mean really warm. The sun is positively hot! I had to peel off layers of clothing and when I took Abby into the back 40 this afternoon, I practically crawled. When it's this beautiful out, I just slow down. I want to soak up every drop of sun; I want to hear every note of every bird song. I want to smell every flower - even if that flower is the prodigally blooming skunk cabbage.

Live is very good.

Not only did we hike for more than three hours this morning, but after lunch I ticked off the last item on my spring "to do" list. I sowed the peas and lettuce - well, the first planting of lettuce. My secret to great salads all season long and well into the fall, is buy every imaginable kind of lettuce seed you can find (except iceberg), open all the packets, dump the seeds into a suitable container (Tupperware for instance), mix them all up and then sow every two to three weeks in wide rows. Results: instant fresh baby mixed greens all summer and fall.

So - that's done. I now feel well justified, after the last three active days, in being a bit lazy tomorrow. If the weather is fine I'll weed the blueberry patch and wash the car - inside and out. The car situation is desperate. It has served as a "muddy dog" mobile for the past three weeks. You get the picture.

1 comment:

  1. I love the smell of skunk cabbage. Always takes me back to my beloved childhood gully.

    ReplyDelete