Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

retired? - Not!


I have such an odd love-hate relationship with the whole concept of "doing nothing."

When I say those two words, I usually mean "not working." and not just any kind of "not working." Specifically I mean "not earning an income." So - digging in the garden feeds my need for achieving something but it doesn't quite bring the satisfaction of earning, say $100 per hour.

This week really demonstrates to me why I don't think I will ever fully retire. I've had no work to do since last week. That means three days (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) off. Monday was lovely. I liked kicking back and walking with the dog and hanging out and watching lots of stuff on YouTube (Britain's Got Talent) and exploring Pottermore.

Yesterday, I got a bit restless.

Today - very restless - and then this afternoon more assignments came in and I'm feeling more alive and excited again.

In a week or so (judging by past data) I'll have too many assignments and I'll be really busy for four or five days and I'll wish for a few days of doing nothing.

Duh.

Bottom line - I like working. Working feeds a lot of my needs. But these days I want the right amount of work and I want work that I'm really interested in. Happily today's assignments were pretty much perfect.

And tomorrow is going to be a fun and productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment