Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Work


Many years ago, when I was still married, I remember remarking to a friend, as I was bemoaning how bad my marriage was, that the big problem was that I got all my needs met through my work. In other words, there wasn't a lot of incentive to make my marriage good.

Goddess knows, I tried. The reason I enrolled in the Excellence Series of programs was to "save" my marriage. And I worked on it over and over in every program there was on offer. And still, my primary needs for achievement, autonomy and admiration all got met through work - and they still do.

I suppose that's why I don't contemplate the idea of not working with any great seriousness. That's not to say that I don't go into a state of bliss when I'm hiking or that I don't adore reading etc. - but those primary needs - that visceral gut reaction of getting and completing a great assignment - well.

Take today for instance. It was a good day to start with - off to do the shopping etc. (Yes, a day that gets me out of the house is cause for excitement). Then I got a call to do a really interesting and challenging piece of writing. Following right on the heels of that, another series of assignments that qualify as creative and challenging. And that just made my day. I am energized and delighted and generally feeling on top of the world.

So - hurrah for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment