Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Triskaidekaphobia


The number 13? Not me. Although this year can give superstitious folks serious pause. Not only are there three Friday the 13th's in 2012 but they happen to come exactly 13 weeks apart. How cool is that?

As for me, I love this day. Today has been particularly splendid. (don't you love that word?) Had lovely assignments come in, did a story I liked, got a cheque in the mail, had a lovely walk with Abby and all my work almost done.

I love daydreaming when I go for my long walks with Abby. In fact, those dreams sometimes get so deep I have to wake myself up quite rudely to keep myself on track. Today I was dreaming about coming into $250,000 (a nice, tidy sum) and booking a trip to Europe for two months. I figured I'd splurge and fly Business Class. Then I mapped out my route on a Eurailpass, knowing  I would revisit favourite places as well as tour areas I have not yet been. What a lovely dream!

I also understand how much I like working. I don't think I would ever do very well in fully retired mode - although, knowing me, I would always find something interesting to do. But truly, I think most of us in today's society, are past the point of getting a "golden handshake" with a gold watch to go along with it and then quietly putting our feet up and mouldering away until we expire.

We still want to contribute and do something useful and something creative and something challenging. I want all of it. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment