Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Significance


I've been musing about significance these past few days.

There comes a time in everyone's life when they ask themselves, "What's it all about? Why am I here? What can I contribute? What legacy will I leave?"

There also comes a time when we ask ourselves, "Is that it? Have I left my mark? Have I left no mark at all? What was the purpose of this life?"

We aren't all Steve Jobs or Albert Einstein or Mother Theresa. We won't all be a famous movie star, author, painter or humanitarian. Heck, most of us won't even get our 15 minutes like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian who, I believe, are famous for being famous.

Oddly enough, I don't have the tiniest regret about not achieving more. Of course, there's always the possibility of future accomplishments, but that's not the point. I think the point is to live your life - to live it fully and richly - whatever that life might be. Chasing after fame and fortune is futile. So is chasing after love or happiness.

I think fulfillment comes from being conscious - from having awareness of your life. I don't mean that you have to fully understand yourself and I'm not even sure that it's possible. I mean to be able to wake up in the morning and be aware of the life that pulses through you and understand that it is a miracle and a gift. Awareness means to love your life exactly as it is and to know that embracing that life with all your heart and soul is the contribution - that is the significance of your life.

When you live a life of love and joy it changes everything - maybe even the course of history - or only one small life. It doesn't matter. Merely to be alive is significant. It is an accomplishment. It is a blessing.

Each one of us is important - immeasurably so.

No comments:

Post a Comment