Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve


What funny habits and rituals we humans have created. New Year's Even is just one of them. Why and how and when did we pick January 1 as the beginning of a New Year? Truth is, tomorrow is just another day in the earth's life - she cares not one whit what sorts of artificial time conventions we have created.

But we humans like to mark the cycles - and so it goes. The start of a new day, a new week, a new month, a new year.

It is the habit of media pundits to look back on the old and predict the new. It is the habit of most people to make resolutions - quickly broken of course. That's why I don't make any other than to continue being the best me I can be.

My friends and I create a word for the year instead of resolutions. I can't decide on my word. Is it "happiness?" Or is it "celebrate?"

Looking back - and after all I work in the media so I may as well look back - the big story of the year is Occupy. We the people have woken up. We have begun.

My prediction? Occupy will be the major force in the world this year.

And that is cause to celebrate.

Yup - guess my word for 2012 is celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment