Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Baking


While everyone else is scrambling around getting their Christmas baking done, I just finished another batch of my special "hiking lunch" or "road trip lunch" cookies.

These have been adapted from a breakfast cookie I fell in love with from the now defunct Spelt Bakery in East Vancouver (motto - how's that spelt?), a nursing recipe cookie on the Internet, a friend's hints and my own experimentation.

The finished product is not a pretty sight but boy are they good and they pack a walloping powerhouse of energy and nutrition - the perfect pick-me-up after four hours of hiking - or five hours on the road.

Ingredients are all organic and include spelt flour, canola oil, almond butter, eggs, nuts, coconut flakes, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, quiona flakes, raisins and the kitchen sink - ok, not the last one but still - I probably left something out.

So now my kitchen smells good and I have my lunch all set for tomorrow's hike. We plan to head down to Shawnigan Lake and pick up the TC trail at the Kinsol trestle. I guess we'll just hike all day until it gets dark. That sounds like a plan. Photos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment