Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Very Full Day


I am at my best when I am involved in a cause.

Now that I have two major causes on the go, I am cooking.

First: Occupy Canada. Not sure how I will directly impact this movement yet - but I will.

Second: Nanaimo's Low Barrier Housing. Thanks to my friend, J, I am passionately involved. This supported housing project will not fail. Every member of our society is a *member.* Everyone deserves the basics of food and shelter. When they have that, we can begin addressing other issues such as addiction. A society is judged by how it treats its most vulnerable members - how are we going to treat the most vulnerable among us?

And I'm pleased that I did the right thing today. I was in a store that wanted to sell me "pink ribbon" candies at the cash. I guess I'd seen one too many cases of "pink washing" and went off into a bit of a rant about it. Then, as I left and continued my shopping, I realized I didn't feel good about myself. "What is the right thing to do right now?" I asked myself.

I went back to the store and apologized to the cashier. It wasn't easy but it was the right thing to do and the good thing to do. I felt much better, she felt much better and, as a result, I hope there was a bit more good will in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment