Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jim Routledge for Mayor


I'm really proud and pleased and downright excited to be working on Jim Routledge's mayoral campaign.

I'm ready to tell anyone to vote for Jim. Jim will make a really excellent mayor for Nanaimo.

This is my personal endorsement. Doubtless I'll have a lot more to say over the next few weeks - but today I want to tell you why I am so excited that Jim threw his hat into the ring.

I have known Jim for about a dozen years. We've hiked together, walked our dogs together, eaten countless meals together and debated and argued every issue under the sun. You know that old adage "Never discuss religion or politics?" We've tended to ignore that - arguing about politics has been one of our favourite sports.

I tend to lean to the left. I always thought that Jim leaned too far to the right. It took me some time to realize I was wrong about that. Jim is one of those rare people who analyzes and weighs both sides and takes the merits from both. He is probably the most inclusive person I have ever met. He loves community. Making connections is everything to him.

The North Nanaimo supported housing issue really exemplifies what Jim is all about. He heard the nays and he heard the ayes and then made three trips to Victoria to visit 12 such projects so that he could see for himself how they worked, who lived there and how they impacted their neighbourhoods. He talked to the workers, the residents and the neighbours. What he heard and saw convinced him that that his neighbourhood could and should support such a house. What impressed me was that he didn't let fear get in his way.

Too many people make choices based on fear. In my experience I have seen Jim make his decisions based on solid information - and on compassion. I like that. I think we need more of it.

Jim wants to work with everyone in the community to make Nanaimo great - and that includes business people - (after all, Jim is a successful business person) - families, youth, First Nations, retired people and those in need.

We are all Nanaimo. We become a great city when we work together as a team.

More stuff I know about Jim - he's a fabulous team player and a thoughtful and respectful leader. When he dedicates himself to something, he gives 100 percent. He's smart. He's funny. He's a very good friend, father, family man. I know that I can count on Jim to be there when he says he will. He's loyal.

I think what I like best about him is that he tells the truth. He's kind and he's honest. I can't imagine a lie falling from his lips and that's important to me. That's also a trait that leads him to be utterly transparent in what he does - another trait I think is necessary and admirable in a politician. Lastly, he has some very cool ideas - ideas that will really benefit the city - and I'm not about to give them all away.

Oh yes - I almost forgot - he plays well with others.

In other words - vote for Jim!

No comments:

Post a Comment