Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Return to the Gravel Pit


I am pleased to report that it isn't just me. Today I was accompanied by two friends and another dog - although I'm not altogether sure that having a second canine along was a big help. Nevertheless, there we were - back at the gravel pit and I was convinced that I now knew where I had gone wrong in locating the trailhead for the Trans Canada trail to Haslam Creek and beyond.

Alas - it was a dead end. In no time, we were back in the gravel pit doing a thorough tour. leaving no grain of rock unturned. I'd like to say right here and now that if anyone out there would like a scenic tour of South Nanaimo's gravel pits, I feel eminently qualified to offer up my services.

We finally gave up and headed back to the intersection where the map showed every logging road and major paved road in the area - everything, in fact, other than the TC trail (which it advertised itself as being a map of.) I finally had the bright idea to pop into the office of the Rondalyn Resort and ask.

Somehow, I was not surprised when the guy in the office said, "Yup - that trail's a bit difficult to find." Amazingly, he had an actual map in his office showing the trailhead! He also explained - twice - how to get there. I listened carefully - twice - and admitted that I didn't understand the directions. M, however, nodded confidently and said, "I got it!"

"You sure?"

"Yup."

Excellent. We are back at the gravel pit - and then in the gravel pit - and then at the far end of the gravel pit - and there isn't a trail to be seen. M gets out of the car and crashes into the trees. Eventually we hear a shout: "I see a sign! All we have to do is drive over the other side of this ridge!"

Excellent! We head in "the other side of the ridge" direction. In order to do this, M has to get out of the car to remove a rather large rock from the middle of the road. This makes me a tad suspicious. Wouldn't some other intrepid hiker have done that? Answer: yes they would have but didn't because this is not the road that takes us to the other side of the ridge.

We drive back. We find what we finally determine is the correct road. We find signs leading to the trailhead. We find the trailhead! And all this only one hour after arriving! Excellent!

On a happy note - great hike!

1 comment:

  1. yes my friend this is find signs leading to the trailhead. We find the trailhead! And all this only one hour after arriving! Excellent!gravel pit

    ReplyDelete