Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Politics of Fear


Perhaps I shouldn't be, but still I admit I am surprised that a United States brand of fear politics has entered the local elections.

I'm talking about a group of anonymous people calling themselves "Concerned Citizens of Nanaimo." I'd suggest that what they are concerned about is themselves - not the city or its immensely diverse population.

On the group's page today under the "news" tag the following headline appeared: Jim Routledge - Hypocrite for Mayor and then the following quote from his blog"It is right next door to a fire station. It is also right next door to a large seniors living facility and backs onto a regional library administration building. There are residential multiunit developments across the street and a high school in the next block. It is not however, right next door to me. I know I would feel different if it was."


I am stunned by the use of the slur "hypocrite" and the quote taken out of context.


His blog goes on to say: I wonder though why I would feel different if it was - is it because I know whats going to happen and its all bad or because I know that there have been many protests about other locations?

I may be different because I have dug into this a bit. This being the whole issue of substance abuse & homelessness. I have learned about what is already going on in our community in the way of group homes, treatment facilities, drug & alcohol counselling, aid and addiction services. I have learned something about the history and the growth of the issue. I have some idea of the future projections based on the experience of similar communities. I am at least a bit prepared for this. I know people that live and work in this "other" world every day. Its part of what Nanaimo is, was and will be. It is natural or as natural as can possibly be. I thank goodness we have a system, many dont.

I actually think that I would feel different because I am indeed very curious. I'd almost rather have it where I can see whats going on. It is drama, neighbour behaviour to judge and criticize - how natural is that? Or maybe even learn more about the process and maybe even participate in some meaningful way. Its hard to say - I am glad to now know, at least where to look.

And at that point Jim went out to educate himself - he made three trips to Victoria to visit these low barrier projects - 12 of them. He talked to many people including neighbours of the projects, before he came to the conclusion that yes, he was in favour.

Back to "American style politics" - these are politics based on fear. We fear what we don't know. I understand that the people in this neighbourhood are afraid and I empathize but there are better ways of dealing with fear than castigating others. Education tends to shed a light in the dark corners. I think it is completely understandable for children to be afraid of the dark (the unknown) but surely as adults we can deal effectively with these fears. The 2009 McIntyre Report is one good place to start. A trip to Low Barrier Housing projects in other cities, such as the ones Jim undertook, would provide first hand information.

This fear-based reaction reminds me of the days of the civil rights movement in the United States where people were terrified that Blacks would move into their neighbourhood. They were simply afraid of the unknown.

I actually find the group's premise in its ads quite amusing. "What's wrong with this picture?" (You know the picture we're talking about.)

Two things are wrong with the picture. First, here's a happy family completely oblivious to the suffering individual inches away from them. Second - here's a person shooting up on the street - probably because he doesn't have a home. Perhaps that scene could be altered if he did have a roof over his head - if he had some support that would eventually lead him to a more productive life.

I believe that we in Nanaimo can be inclusive of everyone who lives here. I believe we can be compassionate - and that we need to care. We also need to care about the people who are afraid of neighbours they don't understand. Let's all work this out together - without the politics of fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment