Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sunny Monday


Here's another great thing about being semi-retired. It doesn't matter if the weather is crap on a weekend - you just make up for it when Monday hits.

Today the sun is shining. I finished my two assignments by 11.30 a.m. The rest of the day is mine. Now isn't that nice?

On a more existential note, I was thinking about how much time I spend looking forward to things: my birthday, a weekend hike, next year's vacation etc. Now, when I relish and anticipate these events, does that pull me out of the present and make the present less enjoyable and fun? Should I stop looking forward and focus on right now.

OR - is anticipation part of the present experience? Can you imagine a child not anticipating Christmas? And aren't your memories of Christmas as a child often centered around the anticipation? So is it a bad thing? A good thing?

Maybe it's just a fact of life. Humans have the ability to focus on the past and the future - and maybe that's just part of our present time experience. I don't see myself changing any time soon. Guess I'll embrace it and love that part of me too that thinks about what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment