Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

beautiful body


Abby and I had a wonderful hike this morning through the Extension Ridges. The fall colours have begun to tinge the leaves of the shrubs, turning the forest's palette into subtle shades of yellows, oranges and golds - like the skin of a ripe Okanagan peach.

As I walked through the peace of the woods, moving my body vigorously along the trail, I thought about my body - my almost-65-year-old body. Forty years ago I hated my body. I wanted so badly to have longer, nicer legs, a smaller nose, larger breasts, a tinier butt - and on and on. Today, when my skin is increasingly wrinkled and my upper arms as flabby as a damp dishcloth, I can honestly say that I am completely infatuated with my body. I adore every square inch of it - warts and all. I wouldn't trade it for any other body on earth - not even a much younger one.

My body has and does serve me well. It is hearty and hale and brimming with good health. It needs no pills or stimulants of any kind. It can take me up a mountain or across the fields for hours on end. It can still run flat out or climb as high and as hard as I ask it to. My body is strong. My body performs all its tasks efficiently. When I look at it in the mirror I see a thing of beauty. And because I love and appreciate it so much I plan to take very good care of it for life - good, healthy food, lots of restorative sleep, tons of exercise - this is the formula that works. And in return for giving it these simple things - look at what it gives back to me - joy, happiness, well being!

I am so grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment