Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Still Vain


Today I am going to have my eyebrows done - permanent makeup. My stated reason for doing this is that I am tired of "putting my eyebrows on". I've done it for decades - and enough already!

However, if I want to be completely honest, another overriding reason is pure and simple vanity. I want to look good. I don't care that I'm going to be 65 years old two weeks from today, I still want to look my best. Of course, looking my best today as opposed to, say, 30 years ago, are two very different things.

Thirty years ago it took me almost half an hour to get ready for work in the mornings. I had moisturizer, put on a foundation, powder, several layers of eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lip liner, lipstick -blow dry and style my hair - put on designer clothing - let me tell you - it was all quite a big deal.

Today, I still moisturize - and I put on my eyebrows - a slick of lip gloss and that's it - let the hair blow as it will. Clothes? Everything I wear is performance clothing, generally the Icebreaker brand that I buy at Valhalla Pure. (my favourite store in the city next to Chapters)

In a couple of weeks I'll be visiting my hairdresser (Kiyomi Shultz - the best) and asking her to cut it all off - and I'm letting it go to its natural colour and god knows what that is - haven't seen it in 30 plus years.

How is all this vanity? I want to look my best without putting in the work. And I know I am getting older and I want to age appropriately. My mother is 95 and still dyes her hair (and puts on her eyebrows every morning). Now all her hair dye does is turn it blue. I do not want to age like that.

And I guess that's vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment