Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Little Things


I set out on an early morning hike of the Westwood Ridges today - I needed to be back home for lunch and then Merv's memorial service.

Sometimes hiking alone is perfect. It allows my mind to wander - and today it wandered down pathways of absolute joy. I am constantly amazed by how much joy I receive from the very simple things - a cooling breeze across a mountain ridge, shafts of sunlight streaming through the trees, the mottled red bark of an arbutus tree - all of these things bring me happiness so deep it feels like it sinks right into the marrow of my bones.

The following John Muir quote is from Merv's service: "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."

What can I say to that other than "amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment