Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Really Long Weekend


I was talking to my mother this morning. She also retired when she was 65 - but totally, not partially like me. (on the other hand, I'm a writer and I suppose writers never totally retire).

At any rate she told me for the umpteenth time that when she turned 65 she started the best years of her life. She and my father took long vacations - road trips across the country, trips to Europe, etc. They also developed quite a social life and became champion lawn bowlers.

I had a hard time believing this whole "best time of my life" thing when I was younger. Now I get it - completely. Of course it's the best. It's the time when you can stop doing the things you have to do and start doing the things you genuinely want to do.

If you want to get existential about it, you are always at every age doing what you want to do because you are the pilot of your life etc. etc.

But today I don't particularly feel like going that route - so there! Today, I have one more story to write and then I am declaring Thursday and Friday holidays. Why? Because I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment