Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Not a Luddite!


It's true. I am definitely not a Luddite. Still, I have discovered that, when it comes to technology, particularly when it is computer-related - then if it can go wrong, it will.

So, with girded loins (yes once again) I set forth to Future Shop this morning. Here was my mission: buy a GPS that was reasonably priced, that had lifetime map updates and that was bluetooth enabled. Next - buy a new battery for my APC battery backup (cause my APC battery backup is in a state of FAIL) and a new D-Link because my wireless router no longer works.

Well, I got the GPS and settled for a reasonable price foregoing the bluetooth because that would have made it unreasonable.

Then I found out that, of course, you can't buy a new battery for the battery backup - you have to buy a whole new backup.

And I got a new D-Link router.

Then I sat down to set it all up.

First, the battery. I unplugged everything from the old battery only to find that the old one had 8 outlets and the new one only has 6 and I had to find which plugs I didn't need in a backup and then had to dig up an extension cord and - well, you know.

Then I was instructed to attach the second battery terminal wire and I couldn't figure out how to do that until I took the old APC apart cause the instructions don't tell you how. Then I discovered that none of my plugs would fit into the slots - and even though I pushed really hard they wouldn't go all the way in. And then I found out that they worked even though they didn't go all the way in - and I'm hoping that's going to be okay. And then I had to drag out the vacuum cleaner because, let me tell you, it gets mighty dusty back there in the land of tangled wires and terminals and peripheries and god knows what.

Then the instructions told me to install the software. But there is no software. So to hell with it - on to the D-Link. Insert software and let the Wizard help you install! it says. Okay! I'm game! I did that. And you know what? It worked! I did however, find one modem connection wire dangling in the dark pit at the back of my desk. It's not connected to anything. But everything works. Shall I just call it a mystery and let it be?

I'm okay with that.

Now it's time to investigate my Garmin.

Please, dear gods of technology: let it be simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment