Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mission Statement


I believe it's essential to have a mission statement - but not just any old thing you make up. A mission statement has to reflect the truth about you. What are you here for? What were you put on this earth to do?

I know that my mission, or calling if you will, keeps me on the straight and narrow. For instance, recently I was asked to write a book - a true crime thriller. My initial reaction was excitement - and quite naturally so. It's lovely to be asked to do something - some big project.

I didn't say yes - which I might have being the promoter that I am. I wanted to think about it. I could have weighed up all the pros and cons and the few people I talked to focused only on the pros. But what worked for me was to line it up with my calling and then ask the question, "Does it fit?"

My calling is to inspire social and environmental activism by telling powerful stories that touch people's hearts.

So the answer was simple - no, I am not going to write this book. Even though there is substantial money involved. I know that I would not be happy, nor would I experience fulfillment.

It's good to know yourself - always. It might just be the most important - and yet most neglected activity in life - the pursuit of self knowledge. It merits time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment