Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

My Dog


I was thinking today how important Abby is to my life. I don't know if that's just because she is the one I live with and the one who shares all my moments or if that's just how people who love their dogs feel.

Abby and I are very close. I can't and don't want to imagine my life without her. She watches me - her focus is constantly on me so it is little wonder that she seems to know what I want and what I am about to do even before I do. She has an impressive vocabulary because I talk to her.

I don't like to anthropomorphise dogs or any other animals but I also think it does them a disservice to underestimate their intelligence, their love for us and their awareness of us. It's an awareness that seems to strike on a different plane. Are they telepathic?  Well, I suppose that depends on how you define telepathic. In Abby's case, I'd say it's understanding and communicating without words.

She's my partner and my friend. She has a gentle, mischievous and playful temperament. When she came across an injured bird on the trail the other day, she sniffed it very gently and walked on. At the same time, don't leave any of your possessions lying around - she'll make off with them. She is a thief. She'll challenge me at times - how much can she get away with. And then, when I'm sprawled on the couch reading, she'll climb on me for cuddles - not all of her, mind you. She keeps her hind feet on the floor as her concession to not being allowed on the couch.

Tomorrow she gets to fly in a small airplane for the first time. I have no doubt she'll handle it with the profound equanimity that she displays in all new situations. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment