Search This Blog

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Breakfast cookies


I caught this beautiful misty sunrise this morning - I thought it might be an apt photo for today's blog.

For those of you who have asked about my recipe for Breakfast Cookies, I found a great recipe on the web, which I modified (they taste great!) and which I will modify further with my next batch.

Here then, is the recipe:


1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups raw, organic sugar
2 eggs 
2 tsp vanilla (real - not artificial)
3 cups all-purpose organic spelt  flour 
2 tsp organic baking powder 
1/2 tsp organic baking soda
2 cups organic quinoa flakes
1 cup organic slivered almonds/coconut/sunflower seeds (about 1.3 cup of each)
1 cup organic raisins

Melt butter and pour into a large mixing bowl.
Stir in sugar, add eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Add flour, then baking powder and soda.
Blend until all flour is moistened.
Add oats, nuts, fruit and stir.
Drop spoonfuls onto  cookie sheets and bake at 350 F for approximately for 15 minutes.
Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and cooling rack for 20 minutes more.
Makes 14 - 18 large cookies

So here's what I'm going to do next time - reduce the sugar to 1 1/2 cups 

reduce spelt flour by 1/3 cup and add 1/3 cup pumpkin or some other seeds.

replace butter with organic canola or some some other vegetable oil.

I took one on my hike today - very, very good - and it did the job - a great long-lasting energy boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment