Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

No Fly Zone


Well, Vancouver Island, it seems, is a no-fly zone today. Low cloud cover. That means no flying to either Tofino or Galiano Island. So my date is postponed until next week.

Happily, I'm perfectly good with that. When you depend on a small airplane for transportation, it pays to be flexible. Instead, I'm going to have a perfectly wonderful other kind of lazy inactive day. Valhalla Pure is having a sale on Icebreaker clothing - my top absolute fav in the world. And I really *need* another Merino sweatshirt, right?

I was having an email conversation with a friend this morning about my expectations in a relationship. I told him that, like most of the rest of western society, I have been brainwashed into believing in love at first sight, followed by "happily ever after."

My experience shows that this isn't usually the way it is. Love at first sight is wonderful and giddy and good fun but it's not the stuff to build a long-term relationship on. Been there, done that, given up pieces of myself - don't want to compromise my values again.

This time, I notice that what I feel is genuine affection and respect. He's a class act; he makes me smile; he's caring and considerate - smart and funny. And I could go and on about his virtues. That's something to build on.

And I feel good - not tormented. I've had it with tormented. Good is a good feeling.

Flying next weekend instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment