Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Gratitude #53


If every cloud has a silver lining, then this month we've all been awash in precious metals - if we've been looking hard enough. I wonder if we've topped the records yet for amount of rainfall and cool, cloudy days in June - or as the pundits are calling it Junuary?

No matter - the more clouds, the more silver - that's how I choose to see it. Yes, I adore warmth and sunshine, but this weather has its upsides. The lettuce, kale and chard are thriving. I don't have to water my little seedlings - they are growing beautifully. I'm picking lettuce by the bucketful every day.

And weather like this gives me much needed downtime. For most of my life I have been the first one to say, "I'm bored! There's nothing to do!"

In other words, I've been a human doing rather that a human being. And I think that's because I am in constant pursuit of feeding my achievement drive. You don't achieve much by just being. But I'm getting better at this (as long as you don't make me sit down and meditate). Today J called to suggest we cancel Mount Benson and do a shorter hike. Sure I said and suggested Extension Ridges. So we did that - three hours. Plenty of time to get back for lunch and a nice post-prandial nap and a complete lazy rest of the day.

I'm getting it that being lazy and doing nothing are okay. Nothing wrong with it. Good for the soul actually. The grey weather acts as a perfect excuse. Not for one minute do I feel guilty or like I "should" be out weeding the garden. Later today - a bubble bath - yet another silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment