Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gratitude #37


I admit I'm not shouting my joy about our current weather from the rooftops! I'm not hurrying outdoors to play in the rain - no, make that "relentless downpour." Rain is too kind a word for what's falling from the sky. It's a bit like the Queen's Jubilee jaunt on the Thames when they had to cancel the flyby - only worse.

But I am, oddly enough, also rather grateful for a day like today - and not because I'm a masochist either. First, the grass seed is sprouting like mad and the field is going to be lush in a matter of days. My lettuce is producing a bumper crop and the peas are happy too. In fact, the kale, chard, radishes and even carrots are thriving. We're conserving water, which is always nice at the beginning of summer.

But here's the best part about a day like this in June (otherwise known as Joctober) - and especially today because I have no work on the agenda - I can stay in as much as possible (except for the fact that I have a dog, I would curl up on the couch all day.), Still, I don't have to feel guilty about not weeding, pruning or otherwise tinkering with the garden. I don't have to feel guilty about anything at all. I can vegetate, read books, even take a hot bubble bath. I can have lunch and nap afterwards for as long as I like and I can taste test my newest collection of organic dark chocolate purchased just this morning.

Now that sounds like a day to be totally grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment