Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gratitude #36


Today I would like to say thanks to the caveman who decided to toss a hunk of meat at the dog that had been slinking close to his campfire for a while, thus beginning one of the most beautiful relationships in our lives.

I was going to write about my own dog, Abby - and I will one of these days, probably ad nauseum. But today I just want to write about all dogs - to sing praises, so to speak. I have shared my life with dogs for most of my years on this earth and my life is richer because of it.

Dogs love us and we love them. Dogs prove that you don't need words to be able to speak volumes. You don't need well developed facial muscles in order to express emotions. You don't need arms to hug. You don't need excellent table manners to be welcome at public gatherings. All you need is a huge heart and constant devotion to someone outside yourself. You need to be willing to be in service to the one or ones you love.

Dogs are the most philosophical of creatures. They stoically, and often ecstatically, take what life delivers and they embrace it. They live life in this moment - right now. They risk their lives for us. They comfort us when we are sad. They are our companions when we are lonely. They'll follow us anywhere - road trips, mountain tops, river rafting - it doesn't matter where, they'll be there for us. And all they ask in return is a sip of water, a bit of food and a loving pat now and then. Even if those things aren't forthcoming, they'll stick by us anyway.

I love dogs. I've had big dogs and small dogs, mutts and purebreds. It doesn't matter what breed or size, when they're yours, they are only one thing: the best dog in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment