Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Won't be like that


Sometimes I think that negative people are necessary in the world - if only to teach us what not to emulate.

Which brings me to my weekly telephone conversation with my mother. All the talks are the same. She tells me how awful her life is, how sick she is, how bad she feels, how no one cares about her and how everyone is out to do her harm.

She thinks that her "constant illness" is a recent condition. She doesn't believe me when I tell her that all my memories of her are the same and that I made a vow when I was very young: "I am never going to be like that."

And I'm not like that and never will be. If anything, when I'm her age, here's what I plan on:

I'm still going to be hiking with my dog. The hikes may not be quite as long or as steep but I'll still be doing them.

I'll be feisty. Maybe people will even call me a bitch. I plan to get more combative as I get older.

I will be ache and pain free. Oh sure, I may have the odd pulled muscle but when I do I won't complain about it.

I will be independent and loving it. I will have friends - lots of young people - and I'll spend time with them because they want to be around me, not out of a sense of duty.

I will continue to have adventures every single day. No barriers.

I will travel.

I will love life - every single minute of it.

I will still write - maybe not for money any more but I will still write.

I will not be afraid or sad or concerned about the future - because I will love and celebrate my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment