Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Westwood Ridges


Terrific morning hiking on the Westwood Ridges.

It's amazing how many times I've come up here - how many times I've hiked all the various trails - and I never tire of it. The seasons change; the light changes from day to day - and always there is a new beauty to discover.

Oh I know that hiking is good exercise and all that but I really do it because I am besotted - drunk with beauty. Beauty is sacred to me. Beauty brings me to my knees.

I remember being in Seattle when the Van Gogh exhibit came through and I stood in front of Starry Night and burst into tears. I remember walking into St. Paul's Cathedral in London and stopping dad in my tracks as I gazed up into the dome. I could have been converted right then and there - a worshipper of beauty.

The beauty of nature has moved me to song and to prayer. I will never take such beauty for granted. I will sing its praises and be happily enslaved to it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment