Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Life


I read recently about a scientist who says that everything is life - not just you and I and animals and reptiles and amphibians; not just trees and flowers and grass; but also the dirt that grass grows in and the rocks and pebbles and the sand on the beach; also the stars in the sky and the moon and - well, everything.

It took no leap of faith for me to believe this. I have felt the life of mountains forever. I have spoken to trees and touched them with reverence.

But it's not just an intuitive feeling that makes me believe. I think it's common sense. We know that we are made of the same matter as the stars. We are star men and women.

And consider this: At one point - many many years ago, the first bit of what we call "life" emerged in the oceans. From what did that life come? From inorganic matter? Life had to come from something alive. A rock is alive - it may not move around a lot or got to the office every day (smart rock) but it is composed of the same molecules and atoms that I am. Ergo - the rock is alive.

Isn't that exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment