Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Extension Ridges


Even a bad day hiking is better than a good day doing just about anything else.

This morning, Abby and I hiked the Extension Ridges - a nice three-hour circle tour that gets us back home in time for lunch - a nap - and another shorter hike in the afternoon. Expecting M and his dog to show up soon - more fun in store.

I am acutely aware of how wonderful my life is. This morning as we were climbing up a slope I told Abby that as far as I was concerned we were both blessed - and I mentioned "I am grateful, which means I am full of grate...."

hmmm.

Back to hiking -

or not - M and C and baby R and the dog arrived early - Abby just had her second hike of the day. So did I - in other words, this has been a stellar day. The baby is totally gorgeous!!!

Where was I before I got so beautifully interrupted? Ah yes, hiking the Extension Ridges. I strongly recommend you go with someone who knows the lay of the land. Trails are not marked and there are lots of them. I almost got lost today because a new logging road had recently been cut totally obliterating my usual route. After the fourth turn I took that I hoped would get me back on track I realized that I likely would not be able to easily retrace my steps. So - I was committed to going forward, which, oddly enough, felt quite wonderful.




and now - a real highlight of the hike. Along one of the lesser known trails is a giant cedar - as larger or larger than any you will find in Cathedral Grove. This is beautiful giant of a tree - a tree to approach with reverence.



1 comment:

  1. Truly one of my favourite hikes, and you're right - there are so many different trails and it does change as logging happens. I must say I'm jealous I didn't get a hike in this weekend!

    ReplyDelete