Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Further thoughts on who I would vote for

I'm about to dash off on a morning hike - but before I do, I want to tell you about something I've been thinking about quite hard in the last few days.

After I posted my list of candidates I would vote for if I could following the Chamber of Commerce debate, Diane Brennan tweeted asking, "What did I do wrong?" - because I didn't have her name on my slate.

I thought about that. And here's the thing. I based that list on the performance that took place that evening. And that proves to me the flaw in basing a choice on one meeting - one interview - one performance. People are so multi-faceted. As voters, we have to inform ourselves very well.

In my flawed opinion, Diane did what so many people do who have been in office before - they have inside knowledge of how "politics" work - and, like every profession, politics has its jargon. When politicians, usually unconsciously, start using that jargon, they sound, not like real passionate and excited people, but like tired "been there done that" politicians.

That occurred with more than one candidate Thursday night.

That said, on reflection, Diane is on my list - no question. I would vote for her if I could. I have to weigh everything I know about the candidates and Diane is one in a million - full of integrity and with a real passion for serving her community - all of it.

We have some great people running in this election. It's so important to  find out what these people stand for - to find out who they are. Sure, that entails a bit more effort than just picking a name at random in the voting booth - but they're going to be the stewards of the city - of your tax money - for three years. Choose wisely and choose well.

Above all - choose. Vote! It's a privilege and it's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment