Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Skiing


Well! I did it! My first experience of skiing. I liked it! There were times it was fun instead of hard work. Interestingly, it wasn't quite as much fun as I thought it would be. But - the great thing about this is that it's just a start. I am going to try X-country next. I have a suspicion that that's where I'm really going to shine.

So what was it like? Well, I fell once or twice - not much - at least not on the skiing part. Although, sad to say, the one time I fell - not at all badly - I twisted my knee (my bum knee) and it's giving me some trouble today. But, oh well, time will heal it.

Where I fell with some consistency was on the lifts. Let's see now - I fell off the rope tow. (really? - yes - ahem - really). I fell twice off the T-bar. I fell coming off the chair lift.

What I learned is that the hardest part of skiing is the non-skiing bit. Besides the lifts, there was the getting my boots in the bindings part (not enough weight on me to get that boot to snap in) and putting the darn boots on and taking them off - holy heck - they're medieval torture devices! The actual skiing was relatively easy.

I get to tick that off my bucket list. Next trip up I'll be at the X-country lodge!

Footnote - never too old to learn? Never too old to teach either. My instructor was 81! And. boy, was he ever good!

No comments:

Post a Comment